A Very Scary Beggar’s Night

Beggar’s night started off great for us. We have a tradition with the Syverson’s to eat dinner and trick-o-treat together each year. We rotate who’s house we go to and this year it was our turn to host. After we all ate, the kids and dads set out in the neighborhood.

Each house the boys went to they said, “Trick-o-treat, we can’t have peanuts!” Some houses had non-peanut options, some houses weren’t sure what to do and just gave the candy anyways.

When they got home everyone waited patiently to eat some candy as the parents started to sort through the stashes. Everyone but one anxious food loving boy…Ben. He snuck a piece of a fun size peanut butter snickers. One bite. Thankfully, our friend Jay saw Ben do this. He grabbed the candy and showed me immediately.

I gave Ben a very stern talk. Even when I did I thought we’d be ok. I remember looking at Nikki saying, “Sorry, I just want to make sure he knows never to do that again.” Billy gave him benadryl immediately. I asked Billy if I should go to the hospital. He didn’t answer. My gut told me we should even though he had no signs of difficulty breathing. We were told to not give the Epi shot unless the boys couldn’t breathe, lips turned blue, or other indicators that they were struggling. I waited another minute, then said to Billy “Remember the scotcheroo?” To which he agreed I should take him in.

The scotcheroo was a story we heard back in May from another mom that used to go to gymnastics as the same time as us. She told me how her daughter ate one bite of a scotcheroo at the neighbors on accident. They gave the benadryl, waited awhile and she seemed fine. They headed to the restaurant down the street. When they got there, the daughter collapsed turned blue and ended up in the ICU. They nearly lost her. She told me it took a full hour before the peanut reacted.

I walked into Methodist West holding Ben’s hand. A part of me thought, maybe I’m being the crazy parent bringing him in for now reason. The doctor out there seemed to think that too. He went on and on how familiar he is with peanut allergies as his son throws up immediately upon digesting it. He checked Ben out, said he seemed fine. He told me we can stay for a bit, but since we have EPI pens we’ll probably head home soon. Two minutes after that, Ben started to have this croup cough. The doctor said he didn’t have that cough when he got here let’s give him the shot. They give him the EPI and more benadryl (apparently my dosage at home wasn’t as much as he could have). We are hanging out. Ben seems squirmy and keeps thinking he needs to go to the bathroom. In the bathroom, Ben told me “The peanut was in my throat and now it’s in my tummy. I want that peanut out.” It was pretty smart for a 4 year old.

While we are waiting, the doctor comes back in. He started asking me if Ben gets croup, If he currently has croup, if he had any signs of being sick recently. He then said, “that cough sounded very croup like maybe it’s a coincidence that he is coming down with croup tonight and happened to swallow a peanut.” I felt so insulted. I assured him Ben does get croup, so I know what it sounds like and he has had no signs of it. He hadn’t been sick. No runny nose or any signs of getting sick.  He said we’d wait another 30minutes then we’ll head home.

We were one minute away from leaving. Ben and I had set a timer on my phone. He was getting squirmy. He started coughing and now that the doctor made me doubt my instincts, I just wanted to get the heck out of there. I let Ben play a game on my phone. I was sitting next to him and just watching him play. When he looked down at the screen, I noticed on his left eye lid some small hives. That’s right when the nurse walked in and asked if we were ready to go home. I showed her the hives and commented on his now runny nose and cough and asked if those are side effects of the shot. She went to go get the doctor and I took of Ben’s shirt. I was stunned with what I saw. His poor skin was covered in hives. Where there were folds, like elbows, armpits, privates, they were more intense.

The doctor came in. Gave him another Epi shot, steroid and nebulizer. That’s when were were told we would be going to Children’s hospital via ambulance. At this point, I asked Nikki to go to my house so Billy could be there too.

Ben was so brave. He didn’t cry in the ambulance. He chatted with the ladies. Apparently, there is a TV in the back. I had to ride in the front since there were only two seats in back and they wanted two people monitoring him.

We stayed in the ER area till 2am. We had another EPI shot and more steroids. He was closely monitored. With all the check ins and medicine running through his system, he didn’t fall asleep till after 1am.

Once we were moved upstairs, we started a every 6 hours benadryl, 2 times a day stomach medicine, and every 24 hour steroids. Those continued through the weekend. We got to leave the next day at 2pm. Prayers were answered.

Back to the scotcheroo story…I had to move Ben’s allergy follow up appointment. I wasn’t suppose to be there at that time, but was meant to be there. The mom who told me about her daughter was in the waiting room at the allergist. I told her the whole story. As the nurse called us back, I gave her a hug and told her she saved Ben’s life.


Will, Josie, Quinn, and Ben on their way out the door for trick-o-treating


Ben after first epi shot. Looking good, thinking we’ll be on our way home soon.


9:14pm one minute away from leaving and Ben is covered head to toe in hives.


Nebulizer treatment


Getting locked in to go in the ambulance


1:30am. Roid Rage. 2minutes later he was finally asleep.


The next morning, I got my Benny back.


Making the most of our stay…


Reverse Trick-o-treating, the volunteers came to us!

IMG_2767 IMG_2768

Before Check out, Ben and his nurse. Welcome home Ben. He’s back!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s