There’s no snow on the ground, there hasn’t been any at all yet this winter! It feels so strange to be a week away from Christmas and no snow!
We’ve had a busy December and it’s been a lot of fun too. I feel like every age we say this is the best year yet, and as this year comes to a close…I’m feeling like our kids are at the best age and this is the best year yet! Here’s some of the fun we’ve done this month so far:
- I took Josie and Ben to Katy Perry with some friends. It was Ben’s first big concert. He was nervous for the loud noises. Especially since Josie told him that at Paul McCartney, there were fireworks. The usher saw he had his ears plugged on the way to the bathroom, so she gave us earplugs. By the end of the show, he didn’t need them in. We danced, sang, and rocked out. It was great. (Billy and Will did an indoor golf simulator with friends. Livi was on a date with her boyfriend).
- Ben was in his first performance of The Nutcracker. I say first, because it won’t be his last. The kid was beaming. He’s feet never touched the ground, Ben was on cloud 9. He was in the Infantry. His part was very small, but he has a ball. We had two full rows of friends and family that came to support him. My heart felt full the whole day, we are lucky to have so many special people in our lives.
- The kids had their piano recital at school last week. They did fantastic.
- I had a birthday!
- Livi turned 16 two days ago. We currently have a house full of teenagers. It’s our first time with a teen birthday party. I think we pulled it off pretty good. They are all nice kids, but we hid the alcohol just to be safe. 🙂
We have one week left of school then holiday break begins. Ready or not, here we come!
Will, Ben, and Josie.
The boys turned 8 in Orlando at Universal Studios….It was so fun! We tackled the Harry Potter stuff and they were on cloud 9 (or platform 9 3/4). The boys got to go to the wand store and because it was their birthday, they had a private ceremony of the wand picking them. I think that was their BEST memory. They loved the train ride between the parks. It felt like you were a part of the movie. They were a little nervous about the simulator rides…well to be honest more like a LOT nervous. Ben also didn’t care for the fire breathing dragon. It may have been a little too real for him.
We didn’t tell the kids we were going till the night before we left. It was such a fun surprise.
Josie is officially 10. We celebrated here, there, and everywhere!
We started with her very first slumber party. The girls had a blast and are such a great group. They did essential oil roller balls, painted a picture frame, ate lots of treats, hit a piñata, played outside, and watched a movie. Everyone was a sleep by 10:30pm – SCORE!
Josie’s actual birthday was celebrated in Alabama. She loved having her extended family with her! She rode go karts and ate cake by the ocean…which was one of her wishes. When we got back home and Grandshe returned from Spain, we celebrated at home with Grandshe.
Things about Josie:
- She is still the kind caring kid we all love
- She is still an old soul
- She still has a gift with music, she can call out a song a few chords in. Especially oldies.
- She’s really into reading the Sisters Grimm and Harry Potter
- She is playing piano really well
- She loves sports, but would pick watching a movie any day
- She makes us very proud
Josie turned 8 on the 8th, a GOLDEN birthday! We had a blast celebrating her day over a long weekend…she is just like her mama wanting to drag her birthday out over several days!
She had a movie themed birthday party and invited 8 of her friends from her 1st grade class at Webster. They played wiffle ball, walked to the park, indoor hockey and then settled in to watch the movie BIG. Yes, the old Tom Hank’s movie…she is an old soul. The boys she invited didn’t seem to enjoy it that much so we paused it and went upstairs for some more fun, pizza, and brownies.
On her actual birthday, Billy took the day off. We went to the Waveland Cafe, enjoyed swimming at Wakonda, then waited for Grandshe to arrive (her first trip to our new house!) and we all packed up to go to Goldie’s…Nothing says Golden Birthday like Goldie’s!
Lastly, on her birthday weekend, her team won their hockey tournament and she received two awards: Player of the game for the final game and MVP for the season! Talk about birthday luck!
8 is really GREAT! Happy Birthday, Josie Girl.
The boy’s birthday was over a month ago, but I couldn’t not write about it. They had such a fun celebration. We had a birthday party at Walnut Grove Park in Omaha the weekend prior. They had a Super Hero themed party. Will wanted Superman and Ben wanted Wonder Woman. We put pictures of the Joker, Penguin, Cat Woman, and kryptonite up on trees. We caught the bad guys with water balloons and silly string. We made capes for each kid. It was perfect. On their actual birthday we had a wedding to attend. Grandshe and Pop-Pop where making their way to Chicago to celebrate Maeve’s 8th birthday so they were here to babysit the kids. The day after we all ventured to the zoo. We have a zoo pass and go pretty often. While we are there I usually get asked to ride the camel, train, or carousel. I almost always get asked to get their face painted, as they have never done that. Each time I tell them no or only let them do one thing. Every time we do this drill I’m always impressed with the kids. They always so ok mom or may next time mom? So when we were there a few weeks before I declared on your birthday you get to do all the things I normally say no to. They lived it up! We did all of the above and played on the playground, fed giraffes, and explored everything possible to do. It was so much fun!
Birthday party in Omaha fun!
Birthday golf outfits from Grandparents Bemis, Will & Ben
Celebration in Des Moines… Actual birthday, birthday gift costumes, fun at the zoo, then we hit up the golf course!