Grandshe had her Omaha book club come to Des Moines for a slumber party. There were 10 friends that made the road trip. We swapped homes with Grandshe so she could accommodate all her gal pals. We had so much fun vacationing at Grandshe’s place! Josie said, “if anyone asks…tell them we are renting the place for the weekend.” So then we started calling it our VRBO or cottage rental.
It was fun to snuggle in closer corners and watch Saturday morning cartoons. We are in such a habit of watching Netflix or computer time, it was a nice change. And for us all to cozy up on one couch (or around the chair below) made this mama happy!
While we were in Chicago for Hamilton, the kids had some fun with Grandshe. Here are a couple of stories:
- Grandshe took Will and Josie to their first thrift store while Ben was in dance class. As they entered the thrift store, Will asked very innocently, “Will Macklemore be in there?”
- Grandshe said a naughty word so Ben decided he should sneak on her phone and text me to tattle-tell on her. Instead of texting me, he texted the last person Grandshe had texted, which was her apartment complex manager. When Ben realized it, he felt so bad. Ben started crying. Will did too. They both thought Grandshe would be kicked out of her apartment complex.
- All three kids had a ton of fun being spoiled rotten.
What a summer! It’s going to be over before we know it, so I wanted to capture a few highlights now:
- Probably the biggest excitement is that Grandshe moved to Des Moines. She is 10 minutes away and pretty much on our way to everything. It makes swinging by her place so convenient. Like today, we were planning to come straight home after golf because there are flash floods and it’s horrible outside. When we were only going 30mph on the interstate, we made a pit stop at Grandshe’s till the rain let up. Everyone was happy.
- We’ve had a few trips back to Omaha, always fun to see family and friends! We already have two more trips back to the Big O on the books before school starts!
- 4th of July was spent here with Jay, Danielle, Jules, James, and Henry. It was a perfect holiday hanging out and having fun. The only downfall was that it wasn’t too warm. The boys golfed, we all went fishing, to the park, on walks to feed the neighbor’s cat, and spent most of the 3rd of July at Wakonda doing face painting, tattoos, water slides, pop dives, and watching synchronized swimming. The fireworks in our front lawn were hard to beat!
- All three kids have enjoyed golf and swimming. The boys were fast little fish and both earned MVPs for their age group. Will placed 1st for golf and Ben got second. In swimming, Ben got first and Will got second. I told them they will be each other’s biggest competition and cheerleaders. It was kind of a cool lesson since this is the first time they both are competing in the same sport!
- Josie placed first for golf in her age group, actually her score was better than all the girls! While Josie isn’t as fast as her brothers in the pool, she is still a strong swimmer. She earned an award for most improved as she cut 18 seconds off her swim time. Josie told me she doesn’t love swimming as much as other sports. It opened up a great conversation on how proud I am of her because she is as good of a looser as she is as a winner. Swimming is the first sport I’ve seen Josie struggle, the kid is a natural athlete! There were kids that cried when they would get last place. Josie never got frustrated and always congratulated her opponents. She has such a positive attitude. At the end, Josie said “So basically, you like to see me loose.” Then she laughed and said, “Just kidding mom, I know what you mean!”